A generation ago it was unusual to see an adult with braces on their teeth. Today that is no longer the case. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21.
With the wide variety of orthodontic treatment options available to adults, the process of wearing braces is more convenient, more comfortable, more efficient and much less conspicuous than ever before. The latest generations of metal appliances are substantially smaller and less unsightly than any of their predecessors. Moreover, an adult interested in orthodontic care can select braces that are hardly visible at all. Today's orthodontic treatment options offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetic, and customized to meet your needs.
Treatment options for adults include:
- Tooth-colored Ceramic Braces
- Clear Aligners
- Self-ligating Braces
- Linguar Braces
- Traditional Metal Braces
Common reasons for Braces in Adults:
- Incomplete orthodontic treatments as a teen. Many adults never completed their braces treatment as a child or teen. Now, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always desired.
- Better oral health. It is no surprise that straight teeth are easier to brush and floss, giving you a healthier mouth and a more confident smile.
- Teeth are crowded, shifted or spaced apart, possibly causing tooth decay or periodontal disease.
- Abnormal jaw pain, or pressure that is caused by a bad bite or malocclusion.
- Worn or missing teeth. Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic treatment. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a malocclusion and increasing the risk of periodontal disease.
- Prepare teeth alignment prior to restorative or implant placement. Many adults sometimes need to get braces to change the position of teeth before getting a new bridge, crown, or implant.
We recognize that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments, and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us. To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics please contact us to schedule an appointment.