Invisalign® & Lingual Braces
Invisalign® has changed the face of orthodontics. Instead of wires attached to your teeth, your teeth can now be straightened invisibly.
- Invisalign® is clear. You can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing.
- Invisalign® is removable. Unlike braces, you can eat and drink what you want during treatment. You can also brush and floss normally to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Invisalign® is comfortable. No metal brackets or wires to cause mouth irritation, and less time in the dentist's chair getting adjustments.
The Invisalign® process has been proven effective in clinical research and in orthodontic practices nationwide. However, only a certified dentist like ours can undertake this procedure.
The Invisalign® Process
- A set of aligners are worn for about 2 weeks, removing them only to eat, drink, brush, and floss.
- As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth will move "little by little, week by week" until they have straightened to the final position the dentist has prescribed.
- You will visit us approximately once every 6 weeks to ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned.
- Total treatment time averages 11 months with the average number of aligners worn during treatment between 18 and 30. This of course will vary from case to case.
The Invisalign System combines advanced 3-D computer graphics technology with 100-year-old science of orthodontics. Invisalign aligners are designed to move your teeth in small steps to the desired final position prescribed by your orthodontist. Each aligner is precisely calibrated and manufactured to fit your mouth at each stage of the treatment plan. Your first step is to visit our office to determine if Invisalign is right for you. After sending precise treatment instructions, Invisalign uses advanced computer technology to translate these instructions in a sequence of finely calibrated aligners as few as 12 or as many as 48. Each aligner is worn for about two weeks and only taken out to eat, brush and floss. As you replace each aligner with the next, your teeth will begin to move gradually "week-by-week" until the final alignment prescribed is attained. Then you'll be smiling like you never have before!
To learn more about Invisalign® Teen, please visit the official information page here.
Today, there are metal braces that can be placed on the "tongue side" or lingual of every tooth. Known as lingual braces, these appliances are completely hidden from the outside world. Lingual braces are a great choice for teens and adults who are concerned about wearing braces that are obvious to their friends, families, work colleagues or schoolmates. Musicians who play wind instruments, adult professionals, and people who play contact sports are all ideal candidates.
While these braces work in the same way as the metal or ceramic braces affixed to the front of your teeth, they can only be spotted on close inspection during such times as when your mouth is wide open. The process for lingual braces involves taking an impression of the teeth, which is then sent to a dental laboratory and used to create customized brackets. Your choice of brand depends upon the orthodontist and her recommendation, as well as your preference. Some of the most popular brands are: Incognito, iBraces, In-Ovation, STb Light, Suresmile, Lingual QT, Harmony.
Not All Orthodontists Offer Lingual Braces
Because the pressure that moves your teeth into place occurs on the inside of your teeth rather than the outside, training and technical expertise are needed. Your orthodontist must understand the types of movement that will occur and how they may differ from conventional braces. Dr. Lorenzo prides herself in being one of the few local orthodontists certified to treat patients with lingual braces.« Go Back